Happy New Year everyone!
After the buzz of the holiday preparations, there is a brief time at Spindleworks which could be considered quiet and with this week’s snow day, maybe even…still. I welcome this stillness to reflect on 2012 and all that we have to be grateful for, what we have accomplished this year and to think about what lies ahead. Some highlights from 2012 include:
• SpinOff, our new program in Hallowell has experienced a full and exciting first year. The 9 artists attending the program have filled the walls with their artwork and are becoming part of the fabric of the arts scene along the Kennebec.
• Habitat was our first ever large scale installation project and month long artist in residence project. Together with Matt Anderson the Spindleworks artists transformed a 1200 sq ft space in Fort Andross into a swampy woodsy creature filled environment complete with a volcano!
• We hosted another successful All Species Parade, and coinciding exhibit, A Natural Order, at Frontier Café which helped us raise $300 for the Coastal Humane Society
• We welcomed new artists to the program Michelle Rice, and Robin Albert and new staff members Brian Braley and Manon Whittlesey
• We launched a mentoring program called artist:artist engaging 12 of our artists with partner artists in the community. Our year end exhibit at the Little Dog Coffee Shop was a testament to the success of the first year of this program.
• We launched our Etsy shop, enabling us to share artwork beyond Maine!
• We were chosen again by Arts Are Elementary to be part of this school year’s arts residency. Working with 1st graders this year we are creating botanical banners to be part of the next All Species Parade.
For such a rich year, we have many thanks. Spindleworks thrives because of our partnerships with community members in the form of volunteers, business owners, donors, and grantors. As we finish out 2012 and look with optimism to 2013, we do so with immense gratitude to everyone who has helped us along the way, showed their dedication in the form of energy and enthusiasm, financial support, volunteered hours, and of course purchases!
We expect 2013, our thirty fifth year, to be another stellar trip around the sun. On behalf of the staff and artists at Spindleworks and SpinOff Studio, thank you, and best wishes for a Happy New Year!